A Magistrate Court sitting in Ado-Ekiti has ordered the remand of former APC governorship aspirant in Ekiti State, Abimbola Olajumoke, at the Ekiti Correctional Centre over allegations bordering on defamation, cyberbullying and kidnapping.
The case was instituted by the Chief Executive Officer of YSJ Agro-Allied Limited, Mrs. Yemisi Joluwe, who said she approached the court to seek redress over what she described as false and damaging statements allegedly made against her company and its operations.
The court had previously granted Olajumoke bail. However, the bail was subsequently revoked following her failure to appear for the next scheduled sitting, after which she was arrested, detained and brought before the court again.
During the proceedings, counsel to the defendant, Ayokunle Odunayo Okunade, urged the court to grant bail, arguing that the offences were bailable and that the defendant should not be kept in custody unnecessarily.
The Police Prosecutor, Samson Osobu, however, urged the court to consider the seriousness of the allegations.
He argued that the provisions of the Cybercrime Act, as amended in 2024, were relevant to the matter and asked the court to ensure that the defendant remained available to face the proceedings.
In his ruling, Chief Magistrate Abayomi Adeosun ordered that Olajumoke be remanded at the Ekiti Correctional Centre and adjourned the matter until September 17 for further hearing.
Speaking on the case, Joluwe said her decision to seek judicial intervention was motivated by the need to protect the reputation of YSJ Farms, its employees, investors and customers.
She said the company welcomes legitimate criticism and constructive feedback but draws the line at what she described as deliberate and malicious allegations capable of damaging the reputation built by the organisation over the years.
According to her, the statements allegedly attributed to Olajumoke were false and had caused concern among the company’s stakeholders and members of staff.
Joluwe said the company’s objective was not to silence legitimate criticism but to obtain legal redress and ensure accountability where defamatory statements had allegedly been made.
She added that YSJ Farms remained focused on its agricultural operations despite the legal proceedings and that its day-to-day activities had not been disrupted.
Joluwe further stated that the company remained committed to its agricultural mandate, food production and youth empowerment initiatives across Ekiti State.
She explained that the legal action was also intended to reassure the company’s investors, partners, employees and customers that YSJ Farms remained committed to transparency and responsible business practices.
She said the company was seeking appropriate legal remedies, including a retraction, public apology and damages for any harm established through the judicial process.
According to Joluwe, the case also highlights the importance of responsible communication in the age of social media, where unverified claims can spread rapidly and potentially cause significant reputational damage.
On reports surrounding an alleged kidnapping incident at YSJ Farms, Joluwe confirmed that the company maintains close cooperation with security agencies to protect its employees and management.
She stated that security agencies were investigating allegations concerning Olajumoke’s purported involvement in incidents involving kidnapping and the death of a member of staff.
Joluwe stressed that the company would allow the relevant authorities to conduct their investigations and follow due process to its logical conclusion.
She also assured workers, their families and participants in the company’s youth programmes that their safety remained the organisation’s highest priority.