The fire which started at the early hours of Monday morning is said to have affected not fewer than 41 shops.
Kurmi happens to be one of the oldest markets in the city of Kano.
Alhaji Saminu Abdullahi, the fire service public relation officer said they received a call about the fire outbreak from Malam Baba Nasidi around 1:58 am.
A fire vehicle was immediately dispatched to the book section where the inferno was to control the situation.
The fire which was triggered by an electric spark has razed down 37 improvised shops, and some parts of 4 well-structured shops were affected.
He advised that shop owners should learn how to turn off their electrical appliances at the end of each day as preventive measures.