The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has stated that candidates are not required to remove their hijabs during registration.
This is response to a video that raised concerns about alleged discrimination against Muslim candidates at Afe Babalola University.
In the clip, a man lamented that his sister had been told to remove her hijab before being photographed, saying, “I followed my sister to the JAMB centre to collect her form. She was told to remove her hijab before she could be captured.
“After the capturing, they asked her to sign an undertaking for wearing a hijab. Are Muslims now being discriminated against for wearing hijabs?”
In a statement on Saturday via its verified account, JAMB said, “Thank you for your concern.
“However, it is important to state clearly that the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board, whether in the past or present, has never issued any directive prohibiting candidates from wearing the hijab.”